All-Natural Dry Shampoo DIY
Is there a stressful day waiting for you? You are running out of time or are on a trip somewhere? Especially on these busy days, dry shampoo can be very helpful.
It helps you to bridge the days between your hair wash days and saves you a lot of time in the morning
But ordinary dry shampoos often contain aerosol, which is not only harmful to us, our children and pets but also damages the environment.
Dry shampoos can be full of chemicals. The ingredients may seem fine in small doses but don’t make them risk-free. Your scalp absorbs at rates 5 to 10 times higher than other parts of your body, and repeated exposure to these chemicals only increases the potential for harm.
Toxic ingredients that can be found in ordinary dry shampoos:
- Parabens are a fragrance ingredient and a preservative. Paraben mimics estrogen, acting as a potential hormone system disruptor.
- Talc - is a powdered native, hydrous magnesium silicate that may have asbestos fibers in it, which poses a risk for respiratory toxicity and cancer.
- Alcohol denaturalised
Some synthetic fragrances are known to be toxic for the immune system and irritant for the respiratory system. Fragrances have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress, and potential effects on the reproductive system.
Liquefied petroleum dry shampoos commonly come in a spray-on, aerosol container. These cans have a propellant to force chemicals out of the can and into the air. They also contain LPG (butane, propane, and isobutane) These are colourless and odourless gasses. Propane takes the place of oxygen in the lungs, which makes breathing difficult or impossible. These gasses can give you headaches, mood swings, nausea, and not only harm you but the people and the environment around you.
No worries you don’t have to remove dry shampoo from your life to get rid of these chemical compounds. Just make your own with our wonderful all-natural dry shampoo DIY, it's easy and you know exactly which ingredient is included in your product.
Which essential oil shampoo fit your hair the best?
Here are some essential oils and their benefits for your hair:
- Organic Peppermint essential oil – helps with blood flow and is refreshing.
- Organic Rosemary essential oil – make hair smooth and silky.
- Organic Tea Tree essential oil – helps to heal your scalp of any issues that may be causing itchiness because it is anti-fungal.
- Lavender essential oil – soothes skin and helps dry skin.
Dry Shampoo Recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons of arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch / 2 Tablespoons for dark hair
- 1-2 Teaspoons of cacao powder / 2-4 for dark hair
- For a red tint add up to a tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 drops of each of the two essential oils that fit your hair best
- Powder brush for applicationInstructions:
Put all the ingredients in a glass container with a lid. Shake well until everything is mixed.
Apply with a clean makeup powder brush. Tap the brush in the powder and then on roots of the hair. Let it sit for a minute or two before brushing and remove excess with your fingers.Tips:
If your dry shampoo powder is starting to melt or is clumpy, you might have used too much cocoa.
If you have dark hair and don’t want to put cocoa in your hair, apply the dry shampoo powder before going to sleep at night. That will give your dry shampoo time to absorb the oil, and you can brush it out in the morning.
It’s time for your own dry shampoo without chemicals. Try out our all-natural dry shampoo DIY and tell us what you think!