Natural Dry Shampoo DIY
Everyone is familiar with rough mornings. You know, those when you sleep past your alarm and find yourself rushing out the door without having fully managed to open your eyes. Luckily, for times where taking a shower and washing your hair isn't an option, dry shampoo can be a friend you can trust to start your day off right.
What is dry cleaning?
Washing your hair regularly under the shower with the regular shampoo most of us are used to isn't a great idea in the first place. Usual answers to how often you should wash your hair are between 3 and 4 days. But many of us tend to do it a lot more often for all kinds of reasons; increased natural oil production, sweat, or for styling purposes. However, shampoo can contain harmful chemicals, and the constant washing can strip away the natural, healthy oils our scalps and hair actually benefit from.
This is where dry cleaning and dry shampoo can help. Dry cleaning your hair means it lets our hair rest between washes but absorbs and reduces the appearance of oil to avoid an oily look. Another main reason why dry shampoo has become a must-have in people's morning routines is that it's very easy to use, and saves you a lot of time to get ready in the morning.
...But ordinary dry shampoos have a downside.
They often contain aerosol, which is not only harmful to us, but also to our children, pets and the environment. Typical dry shampoos can be full of chemicals. Your scalp has an absorption rate 5 to 10 times higher than other parts of your body, and repeated exposure to these chemicals only increases the potential for harm.
However, there is a simple solution to this dilemma.
Making your own DIY dry shampoo with essential oils. Organic dry shampoo brings healthy nutrients to your scalp and hair through rich natural ingredients and superfoods.
Essential oils can be used in many different ways depending on what your needs are. Whether you want to use essential oils for hair growth, to encourage thickness or reduce dandruff, you can be sure they'll be something for you. Below you'll find an easy and quick DIY recipe for the best dry shampoo made from organic and natural ingredients.
Best Essential Oils For Hair
- Peppermint – Stimulates blood flow and refreshes the scalp.
- Rosemary – Makes hair smooth and silky.
- Tea Tree – Its anti-fungal properties help alleviate itchiness.
- Lavender – Soothes the scalp and helps relieves dryness.
The Best Dry Shampoo DIY Recipe
*This is a DIY dry shampoo recipe for dark and light hair.
- 3 tbsp. of arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch / 2 tbsp. for dark hair
- 1-2 tsp of cacao powder / 2-4 tsp. for dark hair
- For a red tint, add up to a tbsp. of cinnamon
- 2 drops of each of the two essential oils that fit your hair best
- Powder brush for application
Place all the ingredients in a glass container with a lid. Shake well until everything is mixed.
Apply with a clean makeup powder brush. Tap the brush in the powder and then apply it at the root of your hair. Let it sit for a minute or two before brushing and remove the excess with your fingers.
- If your dry shampoo powder is starting to melt or is clumpy, you might have used too much cocoa.
- If you have dark hair and don’t want to put cocoa in your hair, apply the dry shampoo powder before going to sleep at night. That will give it time to absorb the oil, and you can simply brush it out in the morning.
Knowing how to make dry shampoo was never as easy as this. Let us know how this recipe worked out for you, and what essential oils for hair you included in your creation!