38 Chelmsford Street
Newtown NSW 2042
By appointment only - please send us a message to book in your visit.
Come and join us in a personalised aromatic experience where we will run you through all the different aromas and benefits from our full product range.
3 Easy Natural Cleaning Products - DIY Recipes
There is nothing that feels safer than being in our home. It's the only corner of the world that we can call our own, and which provides a place for peace, comfort, and love for anyone who lives inside of it. So why not treat it as such?
The common household cleaning products that we use to clean our homes typically contain toxic chemicals, harmful to our health. Many of the chemicals found in these products are very irritating to our eyes and respiratory system, and there's potential to cause far more severe health issues.
Fortunately, there is an alternative way to keep your home clean, non-toxic, and chemical-free for everyone who lives inside of it.
In this blog, we'll show you how to make your own natural cleaning products from scratch. With the help of natural ingredients and essential oils, the multipurpose cleaner, delightful homemade dishwashing liquid, and way to detox your mattress, will work together to make your home the most comfortable and fresh sanctuary it can be.
1. How To Make A White Vinegar Multipurpose Cleaner
- 5 drops of Organic Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Organic Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Organic Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil or Organic Clove Essential Oil (this last one is good if you would like to use it for cleaning your bathroom as it kills mould)
- 500ml White Vinegar
- 500ml water - 1 Litter glass jar (or any other repurposed container!)
- Atomiser or spritzer
Mix all ingredients, and give it a good shake to mix up all the oils. Leave it for at least a couple of days to infuse and your homemade household cleaner is ready to use! Shake well each time and use it within 21 days.
Pro-tip: Think green! Is there a plastic bottle or glass jar you can reuse to place your natural multipurpose cleaner in?
2. How To Make Homemade Dishwashing Liquid
- 1 ¼ cups of distilled or filtered water
- 2/3 cup liquid Castile soap
- 2-3 bunches of fresh rosemary or 1 heaping Tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon pure aloe vera gel
- 1 ½ teaspoons washing soda from the supermarket(optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 20 drops essential oils of choice (we recommend - lavender, rosemary, lemongrass or eucalyptus for the best aromatic experience).
- 5 drops tea tree oil
Boil the water and add in the dry herbs. Cover and let them steep for a few hours. Remove the rosemary from the water. If you used dried herbs, strain them. In case you chose to use the washing soda, dissolve it in the warm rosemary-infused water. Now add Castile soap, aloe vera gel, olive oil, vegetable glycerin, and the essential oils.
Transfer it to a glass bottle. If you used the washing soda, the soap will get thicker as it cools off. Otherwise, it stays liquid. Because it is so concentrated, you don’t have to use that much, but it's up to you!
We recommend to make small batches and use within three weeks to a month since it does not contain preservatives.
3. How To Detox your Mattress
When's the last time you cleaned your mattress? We wouldn't like to answer either. Let's be honest, it doesn't look like the fastest or easiest thing to do. Quite frankly, we'd like to do pretty much anything else.
But with this convenient recipe, a mattress detox won't sound so bad every once in a while.
First, combine ½ cup baking soda with a dozen drops of essential oils. This will be enough to deodorize, eliminate moisture, and kill dust mites effectively. For this household cleaning tip, eucalyptus or lavender essential oils will do the trick.
Next, sprinkle the mixture onto your mattress and let it sit for an hour or more. Vacuum up the baking powder, and replace the mattress cover. Voilá! your mattress is fresh and clean.
More Natural Household Cleaning Tips
We couldn't help ourselves.
Here are other household cleaning tips with essential oils that can boost your home with freshness and revitalised energy.
- Revive your space by vacuuming - Placing a few drops of essential oils in 1 cup of baking soda and sprinkle over your rug or carpet. Wait 30 minutes and vacuum as usual for an easy way to fill your home with energising and uplifting aromas, whilst also deodorising and cleaning your rug. The aromatherapy benefits of essential oils are bound to have additional positive effects on your health too!
Checkout this easy video that shows you how to do this DIY Natural Rug Deodoriser
- Bye-bye bin smell - Freshen up your bins and get rid of nasty odours by adding a few drops of your favourite essential oils on a cotton ball and place it on the bottom of your bin. If you want to take is a step further, opt for antibacterial essential oils like lemongrass, tea tree, lime, and grapefruit.
We like to think that using chemical-free, natural cleaning products to maintain our house fresh works reciprocally. As we take care of her, she takes care of us.
Let us know how these DIY recipes worked for you! We'd love to know.